The common denominator throughout the community is green spaces. The community won the 2006 Landscaped Areas award from America in Bloom, a national community beautification contest.
MILL RACE PARK
5th and Lindsey Streets, Downtown Columbus
Drive through Mill Race Park on the way to the hotel or dinner. The 85-acre riverfront park, designed by Michael Van Valkenburgh, features an 84-foot observation tower, covered bridge, people trails, a man-made round lake, and an amphitheater. All the plant materials and red-trimmed structures in this park are designed to withstand the spring floods. In 1996, Landscape Management Magazine recognized Mill Race Park as one of the top 100 properties in the nation for design, reputation, and accessibility. There is no entry fee into the park.
5073 N. State Road 9, Hope, IN 47246
- Enjoy 70,000 square feet of greenhouses filled with flowers, herbs, and plants, there is always something new. Check out the seasonal favorites including the fall selection of over 17,000 mums grown next to the green houses. Visit the gift shop for interior, holiday, and garden inspiration. Stroll through the many greenhouses, filled with seasonal, traditional and new varieties of plants. Dine at Millie’s Café located at Elsbury’s Greenhouse.
Nichols & Dimes Antiques and Collectibles
101 Pennsylvania, Elizabethtown
- Located in a converted 1870s farmhouse and roadside bungalow surrounded by gardens, this charming antique shop features quilts, country furniture, primitives and other collectibles. The annual antiques and garden festival held the second weekend in June is a one-of-a-kind experience.
- Website >
Simmons Winery and Nortonburg Wine Garden
8111 E 450 N, Columbus
- This local winery produces a wide variety of locally produced red, white and blush wines, ranging from dry to sweet dessert wines. All the grapes are grown by the Simmons family on this 115-year old farm. Taste the fruits of their labor and take home a bottle. Or, shop the farm market during the summer and fall for fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Hours Tue - Thu: 10:30 am - 2:30 pm, Fri - Sat: 10:30 am - 9:00 pm
- Website >
STATE PARK TOUR
BROWN COUNTY STATE PARK
Entrance at State Road 46, 15 miles west of Columbus
- Contact Brown County State Park at (812) 988-6406 for more information and to schedule a tour.