Columbus Indiana - Columbus, Indiana. Unexpected. Unforgettable.
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
This website requires the Macromedia Flash Player.

Click here to get the latest Flash Player

Architecture

 Click on [more information] under the photos to see more, and larger, images.


Jump To:  A - F | G - L | M - R | S - Z | All
Advanced Manufacturing Center of Excellence
4555 Central Avenue
Near the Columbus Learning Center
Columbus, IN
Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects (PCPA) designed the new Advanced Manufacturing Center of Excellence (AMCE) which was completed June 2011. The AMCE serves as a state-of-the art education and workforce training center. Cesar Pelli, said, “I am excited to...

more information...
AT&T/SBC Switching Center
Seventh and Franklin streets
Columbus, IN
Paul Kennon of Caudill, Rowlett, Scott designed this building in 1978. It is encased with a skin of reflective glass. The result mirrors activities of the surrounding neighborhood. Giant yellow, orange, red, and blue “organ pipes” on the west side ar...

more information...
Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation
1200 Central Ave.
Columbus, IN
The original Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation Headquarters (formerly ArvinMeritor Headquarters) was designed by Charles Sparrell in 1896 as a four-room schoolhouse. In 1989, Ratio Architects revamped the school into a handsome headquarters...

more information...
Bartholomew County Courthouse
234 Washington St
Columbus, IN
Isaac Hodgson designed the Bartholomew County Courthouse, which was completed in 1874. The Second Empire-style building stands much the same as it did at its completion and continues to serve the community well. Michael Van Valkenburgh developed a ma...

more information...
Bartholomew County Historical Society
524 3rd St
Columbus, IN Located on City Map on the point N : 9

The museum is located in a restored Italianate home and features rotating exhibits. The gardens are a lovely and educational addition to the facility's landscaping. Open Tuesday through Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or by appointment.

more information...
Bartholomew County Jail
543 Second Street
Columbus, IN
Designed by Don M Hisaka in 1990, the four-story building has a wire-mesh dome for outdoor recreation. The oval-shaped jail features brick and limestone materials that are compatible with nearby Columbus City Hall and the Bartholomew County Courthous...

more information...
Bartholomew County Public Library/Cleo Rogers Memorial Library
536 Fifth St
Columbus, IN
I. M. Pei, who liked to design buildings with postcard views, designed the library, which was built in 1969. He wanted a quiet setting for the library and requested that Lafayette Street be closed to help create a large, open space or plaza. The ...

more information...
Breeden Inc./Century 21
700 Washington St
P.O. Box 663
Columbus, IN
The headquarters for Breeden Inc. was designed by Thomas Beeby and Gary Ainge in 1995 and sits on a prominent corner site in the downtown. The two-story building is arranged with two brick wings flanking a central glazed entry rotunda covered by a co...

more information...
Central Middle School Campus, Columbus Signature Academy
725 7th St
Columbus, IN
For more photos and details, go here. Architect Ralph Johnson of Perkins and Will of Chicago designed this school for an urban site with an existing school still in place. The new sc...

more information...
Clifty Creek Elementary
4625 East 50 North
Columbus, IN
Designed by Richard Meier in 1982, the school of aggregate block, white-glazed block, and glass is sited on 22 sloping acres.

more information...
Columbus Area Visitors Center
506 Fifth Street
Columbus, IN Located on City Map on the point M : 9

The Columbus Area Visitors Center was the home of John Vaulter Storey in 1864. The building style is Italianate and the building materials are brick and limestone. The building has long rectangular windows, bracketed eaves and window hoods. In additi...

more information...
Columbus City Hall
123 Washington Street
Columbus, IN
The building was designed in 1981 by Edward Charles Bassett of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. The triangular building is sited to create a strong visual relationship between the old and new architecture downtown. The cantilevered arms frame the two-stor...

more information...
Columbus East High School
230 S Marr Rd
Columbus, IN
The school was designed by Mitchell-Giurgola Architects in 1972. The sleek building is sandwiched in a white skin and rests on 52 acres. The large brick entries define the courtyard spaces and emphasize the role of the entry.

more information...
Columbus Learning Center
4555 Central Ave Suite 2100
Columbus, IN
Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates, Design Architect, Kevin Kennon former design partner. The Columbus Learning Center is a multi-tenant education facility and community resource center. The design of the two-story building is inspired by the surrounding l...

more information...
Columbus Post Office
450 Jackson Street
Columbus, IN
The Columbus Post Office, designed by Roche Dinkeloo in 1970, was the first post office in the country designed by architects whose fees were privately funded. It is built of a salt-glazed tile, mirrored glass and COR-Ten steel. The tile was glazed r...

more information...
Columbus Regional Hospital
2400 E 17th St
Columbus, IN
Robert A. M. Stern fashioned a master plan for Columbus Regional Hospital which included both major renovation of the existing facility and new construction. Two pavilions, a central lobby and a glass-enclosed dining pavilion are some of the newer fe...

more information...
Columbus Regional Hospital Mental Health Services
2075 Lincoln Park Drive
Columbus, IN
Designed by James Stewart Polshek in 1972, the two-story building spans Haw Creek and is based on two offset rectangles. On one bank is Columbus Regional Hospital’s main campus and on the other is a city park and part of the 19 miles of People Trails...

more information...
Columbus Signature Academy - Fodrea Campus
2775 Illinois Avenue
Columbus, IN
Paul Kennon of Caudill Rowlett Scott designed the building in 1973 as a “people-centered” school. It was one of the first schools in the country to serve the dual purpose of education and as a gathering place for the community. It offers elementary e...

more information...
Columbus Signature Academy - Lincoln Campus
750 5th Street
Columbus, IN
Gunnar Birkerts designed Lincoln in 1967 as a building within a building. The layout is a square within a circle within a square. The multi-purpose room has hallways on either side, and the second story hallways have an overhead view of the space. Th...

more information...
Cummins Child Development Center
650 Pleasant Grove
Columbus, IN
The Center was designed by Carlos Jimenez and opened in 2001. The center has wings that surround a central courtyard. Jimenez envisioned the site to be a protected island. Jack Curtis landscaped the area to help create this effect.

more information...
Cummins Columbus Engine Plant
500 Central Avenue
Columbus, IN
Harry Weese designed a large manufacturing facility around an existing building in the 1950s to accommodate large manufacturing. Kevin Roche designed an addition for the building in 1998.

more information...
Cummins Corporate Office Building
500 Jackson Street
Columbus, IN
Kevin Roche designed the 200,000 square foot precast concrete and glass building in 1983, which spans a three-block area in downtown Columbus. The building forms a central green area with a focal point of the renovated historic Cerealine Building. Ja...

more information...
Cummins Inc. Irwin Conference Center (formerly Irwin Union Bank and Trust)
500 Washington St
Columbus, IN
The bank was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1954, with landscape design by Dan Kiley. It is a low, glass-walled building set in a grove of trees. Unusual domed lights and an open interior creates a large open room and a feeling of openness and friendli...

more information...
Cummins Inc. Technical Center

Designed by Harry Wees Associates of Chicago, IL in 1968 for Cummins Inc., this facility houses research, development and testing for the global company. There are two buildings. The most striking is the six-story, window-wall office. The oblong pre-...

more information...
Cummins Midrange Engine Plant-Walesboro
2700 W 450 S
Columbus, IN
Designed by Roche Dinkeloo and Associates in 1973, the 13-acre building is depressed into the site and features parking on the roof. The layout of the plant provides all occupants with a view of the outside.

more information...
Cummins Occupational Health Association
605 Cottage Avenue
Columbus, IN
Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates designed the facility in 1973 as an alternative approach to industrial health care design. The facility has been designed with an abundance of glass and few interior walls. Finished in black glass, the walls become t...

more information...
Fire Station No. 1
1101 Jackson St.
Columbus, IN
The original Fire Station One was designed by Leighton Bowers in 1941 in the Art Nouveau style with simple lines of buff brick, limestone, glass and stainless steel. The addition and renovation were by James K Paris and Nolan Bingham in 1990. Michael...

more information...
Fire Station No. 3
80 S. Gladstone
Columbus, IN
William Burd designed the station in 1983 and it features a large graphic red three. It is a small station that meets the needs of the neighborhood.

more information...
Fire Station No. 4
4730 E. 25th St.
Columbus, IN
Robert Venturi designed the station in 1967 in a trapezoidal shape of cinderblock, white glazed and red unglazed brick and glass. The hose-drying tower provides a focal point in contrast to an otherwise low, utilitarian building.

more information...
Fire Station No. 5
100 Goeller Blvd.
Columbus, IN
Susana Torre designed the station in 1987 as two overlapping squares. It is located on former farmland and close to and serving a rapidly growing residential area. These issues were resolved by using understated references to familiar rural symbols o...

more information...
Fire Station No. 6
1900 W. 450 S.
Columbus, IN
William Rawn designed the station in 1998 close to an industrial park south of Columbus. The east and west walls are fabricated of glass blocks and doors within a steel frame giving the building a crisp, contemporary feeling.

more information...
First Baptist Church
3300 Fairlawn Dr
Columbus, IN
View larger photos here. First Baptist Church was designed by Harry Weese. Completed in 1965, it is positioned on the brow...

more information...
First Christian Church
531 5th St
Columbus, IN
See many more large photos here. The First Christian Church was designed by architect Eliel Saarinen. Completed in 1942, it was the first contemporary building in Columbus and one of...

more information...
First Financial Bank (formerly Irwin Union Bank and Trust), Creekview Branch
707 Creekview Dr
Columbus, IN
Dwell magazine said "it may be the most refined bank branch in the world." The 4,000-square-foot structure, designed by Deborah Berke & Partners Architects, holds its own among superstores and parking lots. Suspended circular lamps and recessed fixtu...

more information...
First Financial Bank (formerly Irwin Union Bank and Trust), Eastbrook Plaza Branch
2580 Eastbrook Plaza
Columbus, IN
Harry Weese designed the gray-glazed brick bank in 1961 and Thomas Beeby designed the seamless addition in 1996. The building is sited along the Haw Creek and it blends with two nearby bridges.

more information...
First Financial Bank (formerly Irwin Union Bank and Trust), Hope Branch
645 Harrison Street
Hope, IN
The red brick branch bank designed by Harry Weese in 1958 sits on the town square in Hope and features a glass clerestory.

more information...
First Financial Bank (formerly Irwin Union Bank and Trust), State and Mapleton Streets Branch

Paul Kennon of CRS designed a two-story masonry building in 1974 featuring an enclosed lobby with glass on three sides. The grounds feature a tree-lined parking area and a landscaped mini-park.

more information...
First Financial Bank (formerly Irwin Union Bank and Trust), Taylorsville Branch
U.S. 31 and Tannehill Road
Columbus , IN
The branch bank designed by Fisher and Spillman Architects in 1966 is of Louisiana sandstone brick and glass and it harmonizes with the existing community and farm lands.

more information...
Four Seasons Retirement Center
1901 Taylor Rd
Columbus, IN
Four Seasons Retirement Center was designed by the Architects Collaborative, with Norman Fletcher as the principal architect. Built in 1967, this one-story center has residential apartments, a healthcare center, beauty and barber shop, gift shop, act...

more information...
Friendship Way (Columbus Walkway Project)
416 Washigton Street
Columbus, IN
The pedestrian alleyway is an extension of Streetscape, featuring a similar rhythmic brick paying pattern. Citizens of Miyoshi, Japan (sister city to Columbus) purchased bricks with their names to be included in the project. The neon sculpture is by ...

more information...
Front Door Bridge
Interstate 65 and State Road 46
Exit 68
Columbus, IN
The Front Door Project, a twin-ribbed arch bridge, spans Interstate 65 and State Road 46 and was created by J. Muller International. It was intended to provide a safe, efficient and effective entryway into Columbus. The city also hoped to model how a...

more information...
Hamilton Ice Center
2501 Lincoln Park Drive
Columbus, IN Located on City Map on the point I : 13

A year-round indoor facility with 17,000 square feet of beautiful ice. Originally an outdoor facility, Hamilton Center Ice Arena was designed by Harry Weese and built in 1958. The building is chalet style, with coarse materials and a triple-beamed ro...

more information...
Hope Elementary School
9575 North State Road 9
Hope, IN
The school was designed by Taft Architects and is located on the outskirts of Hope. The architects gathered ideas from teachers, students, board members and the community to develop a building with sufficient storage, large windows, a regulation-size...

more information...
Hope Library Branch
635 Harrison Street
Hope, IN
On the East Side of the Town Square in Hope, designed by Deborah Berke in 1998.

more information...
Indiana University Purdue University Columbus - IUPUC
4601 Central Ave
Columbus, IN
The 15-acre site houses the IUPUC campus, which was founded in 1970 as IUPU Indianapolis. The renovation and enlargement of the buildings was designed by Frank Adams in 1985. The Duke Energy Sculpture Garden sits on the east side of the building in ...

more information...
Irwin Home
608 Fifth Street
Columbus , IN
The Irwin home was built in 1864 for Joseph Irwin and has been enlarged and redesigned over the years. Seen today is the 1910 remodel by Architect Henry A. Phillips of Massachusetts. The old brick exterior was covered by tapestry brick with stone tri...

more information...
Ivy Tech Community College
4475 Central Ave
Columbus, IN
The school was established in 1963 and moved to its current location in 1995. The building was designed by Nolan Bingham of the Paris Bingham Partnership. It is a masonry structure with a standing seam roof.

more information...
McDowell Adult Education Center
2700 McKinley Ave
Columbus, IN
John Carl Warnecke designed McDowell in 1960 as an elementary school with four cluster buildings that had three classrooms each and connecting open-air walkways. The school changed to adult education in 1982. It was designated a National Historic Lan...

more information...
Mill Race Center
900 Lindsey Street
Columbus, IN
The community center, completed February 2011, was designed by William Rawn Associates of Boston.

more information...
Miller House and Garden

The Miller House House showcases the work of leading 20th-century architects and designers Eero Saarinen, Alexander Girard, and Dan Kiley. In 2000, the Miller House became the first National Historic Landmark to receive its designation while one of i...

more information...
Mount Healthy Elementary School
12150 State Road 58
Columbus, IN
Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates designed the school in 1972 as a return to the one-room schoolhouse open planning concept. The school is built of several dissimilar materials set in geometric juxtaposition, creating a wide range of teaching environ...

more information...
North Christian Church
850 Tipton Ln
Columbus, IN
Eero Saarinen designed North Christian Church, which was completed in 1964. It was the last building designed by the younger Saarinen. The sloping roof of this six-sided building blends with the landscaped earth-mound which surrounds it. This low li...

more information...
Northside Middle School
1400 27th St
Columbus, IN
Harry Weese designed the middle school in 1961 as a massive building with repetitive use of brick arches, most with inset windows. An addition in 1992 by Leers, Weinzapfel & Associates was needed to accommodate the growing school population.

more information...
Otter Creek Clubhouse
11522 E. 50 N.
Columbus, IN Located on City Map on the point K : 18

Harry Weese designed the Otter Creek Clubhouse, which was built in 1964. The clubhouse has glass walls, a spacious lounge and dining areas that overlook the course. Made mostly of wood, the building blends well with its rural setting.

more information...
Par 3 Club House
Rocky Ford Road & Par 3 Dr
Columbus, IN Located on City Map on the point F : 16

Par 3 Golf Course Clubhouse was built in 1972 and was designed by Bruce Adams of New Haven, Connecticut. With a wood-shingle roof and cedar siding, the clubhouse was designed to fit into the surrounding acreage and to be compatible with nearby First ...

more information...
Parkside Elementary School
1400 Parkside Dr
Columbus, IN
Norman Fletcher of the Architects Collaborative designed the school in 1962 with a series of barrel vaults, presenting an umbrella effect. The addition in 1990 by Fletcher was seemless with the same style of barrel vaults.

more information...
Prall House
5th & Lafayette
Columbus, IN
Prall House was designed by Charles Sparrell and is built of wood with lots of ornamentation, a tower, stained glass and wrap-around porch with rod and ball decoration. It has a gable roof with brackets under the eaves. The wrap-around porch, cone sh...

more information...
Robert N. Stewart Bridge
State Road 46 and Lindsay Street

The Robert N. Stewart Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge. Designed by J. Muller International and completed in 1999, it is the first of its kind in North America. The bridge offers an impressive view of two of the city’s notable structures – the Barthol...

more information...
Schmitt Elementary School
2675 California Street

Harry Weese designed the school in 1957 as the beginning of the Cummins Foundation architectural program. Each room has a peaked roofline, making an interesting zigzag exterior silhouette. An addition in 1991 by Leers, Winzapfel & Associates was need...

more information...
Skidmore Owings & Merrill
224 S Michigan Ave Ste 1000
Chicago, IL
The Chicago firm of Skidmore, Owens, and Merrill worked on The Republic newspaper office, Columbus City Hall, and The Downtown Master Plan in both 1968 and 1983.
  more information...
Smith Elementary School
4505 Waycross Drive
Columbus, IN
John M. Johansen designed the eye-catching school in 1969, featuring brightly painted steel ramps or “tubes” connecting the multi-levels of the reinforced concrete and bronze-tone corrugated steel structure. Christian Johansen designed the expansion ...

more information...
Southside Elementary School
1320 West 200 South
Columbus, IN
Eliot Noyes designed the school with energy conservation in mind. The exterior and interior walls are of pre-cast concrete and were allowed to remain in their natural state. It has jutting parapets and unusual window and door treatment.

more information...
St. Bartholomew Roman Catholic Parish
1306 27th St
Columbus, IN
St. Bartholomew Catholic Church, completed in 2002, was designed by Ratio Architects in the shape of a nautilus with an enlarged square narthex. Custom designed stained glass and a large crucifix on kasota stone are features of the west wall in the w...

more information...
St. Peter's Lutheran Church
719 Fifth St
Columbus, IN
St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, designed by Gunnar Birkerts, was built in 1988. The structure lifts itself among the surrounding spires with its 186-foot copper-clad spire. The structure is reinforced concrete, clad in brick and copper. The interior of ...

more information...
Sycamore Place
1320 West 200 South
Columbus, IN
Sycamore Place, by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates Architects, was built in 1982 as apartments for seniors. The complex has 24 one-bedroom units, three of which are for the physically challenged. Each apartment has its own balcony or terrace.

more information...
The Commons
300 Washington Street
Columbus, IN
Designed by the Boston-based firm, Koetter Kim, this community center is a resource to all. A five thousand square foot indoor playground with a 35-foot tall "Luckey Climber" is a feature families will enjoy. The Jean Tinguely kinetic sculpture, Chao...

more information...
The Republic
333 Second St
Columbus, IN
Myron Goldsmith of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill designed the newspaper in 1971 of glass and steel and provided onlookers with a window into the business of communications. The open concept reflects the seven-day newspaper’s role as a central link i...

more information...
W.D. Richards Elementary
3311 Fairlawn Dr
Columbus, IN
Edward Larrabee Barnes designed the school with sloping roofs forming serrated silhouettes. There are parallel corridors on each side of the center room and smaller clerestories serve each classroom. The addition in 1997 was by John M. Y. Lee/Michael...

more information...
Jump To:  A - F | G - L | M - R | S - Z | All



Powered By: simpleview
 





Columbus Spotlight